Friday, January 18, 2013

Talking about Books

The book I'm reading right now is The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas.   I've been a fan of Dallas ever since her first novel, Buster Midnight's Cafe.  I read Persian Pickle Club when it was first published in 1995, but I'm re-reading it in preparation for next Tuesday's Book Discussion Group.  

Cheryl Mills facilitating a lively discussion
The Wells Public Library currently hosts two Book Discussion Groups; our evening group has been meeting for about 6 or 7 years, and last fall we launched our afternoon group.  I have to say that Book Discussion day is my favorite day of the week.  What could be better than spending a pleasant couple of hours in a library talking about books with a group of people who enjoy reading as much as I do?

We co-sponsor the groups with Wells-Ogunquit Adult Community Education, and the Director of that program, Cheryl Mills and I work together to plan the discussions.  We try to select books that will appeal to a number of people, taking in to consideration such practical matters as availibilty of titles and length of the book.  Most of the books are contemporary fiction, although we also try to include a classic and a non-fiction title.  from time to time. We try to ensure that enough copies are available in the MINERVA online catalog in a variety of formats - audio, regular print and large-print.

Cheryl and I also share the responsibity of facilitating each discussion, spending extra time preparing for the group by researching background information and preparing questions for discussion.  During the discussion the facilitator is not only there to ask questions, but to make sure that everyone has a chance to participate and that the discussion doesn't stray too far off topic.

Occasionally one of the members will let me know they aren't going to be there because "I just didn't like the book."  I always encourage them to come anyway, because it's interesting to get that different perspective.  Some of our best discussions have been when there are dissenting views on the book, and one of my favorite discussions was a couple of months ago when I immensely disliked a book that everyone loved.  It's great seeing people get passionate over stories and ideas, and I find myself re-energized after every discussion.

We invite all of you to join us and see for yourself how invigorating a Book Discussion can be.  For more information about dates and times as well as a list of the upcoming titles, please visit the Book Discussion page of our website.

 If you would like more information just  give me a call - 646-8181.

No comments: